PM warns of 'stern action' against guilty in CWG scam | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

PM warns of 'stern action' against guilty in CWG scam

Taking a "serious view" of Shunglu Committee's findings on alleged irregularities in awarding broadcast rights of Commonwealth Games, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today warned of "stern action" against the guilty.

delhi Updated: Feb 01, 2011 14:31 IST

Taking a "serious view" of Shunglu Committee's findings on alleged irregularities in awarding broadcast rights of Commonwealth Games, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday warned of "stern action" against the guilty.

"The Prime Minister has taken a serious view of the findings in the first report of the Shunglu Committee on Host Broadcasting," media advisor to the Prime Minister, Harish Khare, said in a statement.

The report has been sent to cabinet secretary K M Chandrasekhar for "urgent examination".

"The cabinet secretary has been asked to submit his report within a week with his considered recommendation on the follow up steps. Stern action is likely to be taken on the basis of the cabinet secretary's recommendations," the statement said.

"Chief executive officer of the Prasar Bharti B S Lalli has already been suspended by the Government," it said.

Lalli, a 1971-batch IAS officer, is facing allegations of irregularities in the Rs 246 crore deal struck by public broadcasting body which included the controversial decision to give the contract for broadcast of the Games to a UK-based firm SIS Live.

Shunglu had submitted its interim report to the PMO on Monday on alleged irregularities in awarding broadcasting rights during Games.

The Prime Minister has extended till March 31 the term of the panel to submit its full report.

"The total project costs worth Rs 28,000 crore. How do you expect me to complete the probe within three months," V K Shunglu, a former Comptroller and Auditor General, told PTI while replying to questions.

The Committee was set up by the Prime Minister on October 25 last year and asked to submit its findings on financial and managerial lapses within three months.

Former secretary of Department of Personnel and Training, Shantanu Consul, is also a member of the panel.

The committee has collected documents related to CWG projects from different central and state government departments.

Several projects undertaken by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC), Delhi Development Authority (DDA), Public Works Department (PWD), Central Public Works Department (CPWD), RITES, Sports Ministry, Urban Development Ministry and Games Organising Committee are under the scanner of enforcement, investigating and vigilance agencies for alleged bunglings.

Besides, the CBI has registered four FIRs naming some of the close aides of OC chairman Suresh Kalmadi for alleged criminal conspiracy and financial irregularities in executing the contracts.

The CBI has also questioned Kalmadi and OC secretary general Lalit Bhanot among others in connection with the cases.

The mega sporting event was organised between October 3-14 last year.