Police custody for 5 blast suspects | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 23, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Police custody for 5 blast suspects

Five suspected terrorists, accused of carrying out serial blasts in Delhi, were remanded to 12 days' fresh police custody by a Delhi Court.

delhi Updated: Oct 16, 2008 16:14 IST

Five suspected terrorists, accused of carrying out serial blasts in Delhi, were on Thursday remanded to 12 days' fresh police custody by a Delhi Court.

"Investigating agency is required to collect evidence and find out truth of different dimension in the matter. Fair investigation is the mandate of law. Keeping in view the dynamics of the case and factual matrix, police custody remand is absolutely necessary," Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjeev Jain said.

The Court sent accused Mohammed Saif, Zeeshan Ahmad, Mohammed Shakeel, Zia-ur-Rehman and Saquib Nissar to police custody till October 27.

Earlier, Additional Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan sought the police custody of the five accused in a case related to blast registered with Connaught Place police station.

He submitted that the accused were formally arrested in the case related to the blasts carried out in Delhi on September 13.

He said their custody was required to investigate whether the blast at Connaught Place was part of a larger conspiracy or whether it was a different terror plan.

The counsel of the accused, on the other hand, opposed the police remand plea, saying that the accused had already faced custodial interrogation for last 26 days.

He also cited a Supreme Court judgement to submit that police cannot seek custodial interrogation for more than 15 days.

The September 13 serial blasts -- which rocked Connaught Place, Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh and N -block market in Greater Kailash -- left 25 people dead and several others injured.