PWD orders inquiry into electrocution case, report comes today
A day after 12-year-old Mohammad Shakeel died of electrocution in Seemapuri, east Delhi, the Public Works Department (PWD) has constituted an inquiry into the incident.delhi Updated: Oct 11, 2009 23:06 IST
A day after 12-year-old Mohammad Shakeel died of electrocution in Seemapuri, east Delhi, the Public Works Department (PWD) has constituted an inquiry into the incident.
Senior PWD officials said suitable action would be initiated against the contractor one the basis of the inquiry report.
“A superintendent engineer (electrical) has been conducting the inquiry and will submit his report by tomorrow (Monday) afternoon,” PWD engineer-in-chief Rakesh Misra said.
“Let us establish the exact cause of the incident. Suitable action will follow,” he said.
Senior PWD officials said the contractor, M/s Keselec Shreder Private Limited, which is revamping streetlights on 135-kilometre road network for PWD, has already been told to provide adequate compensation to the family of the victim.
“We will certainly take necessary action against the contractor too," a senior PWD official said.
Shakeel got electrocuted and died when he allegedly fell in a ditch dug by the PWD to install streetlights for a Commonwealth Games project.
1t is not first time a life has been lost due to the callousness of the civic agencies.
Trilok Nath Makhan (65), a resident of B-Block Shivalik Park, had died after falling in a pit dug up by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to install streetlight on August 28.
Vikarm (28) had died when his car fell into an open drain in Janakpuri in West Delhi.
Vikram was reversing his vehicle and could not see the drain.
Several people, mainly labourers, have lost their lives in accidents at several metro construction sites.
“The problem is that there is no culture of safety here and government agencies manage to get away with their negligence,” said Pradeep Chaturvedi, former chairman, safety and quality forum.
“Every construction site should at least be cordoned off with red and white tape,” Chaturvedi added. “But our agencies are complacent and take things for granted.”