Rammohan probe draws plan to avoid another Maoist massacre
The government appointed probe by former Border Security Force chief EN Rammohan into the April 6 Maoist massacre in Dantewada has suggested a blueprint that includes better coordination and increased intelligence gathering to prevent further attacks, informed sources have revealed.delhi Updated: Apr 26, 2010 22:00 IST
The government appointed probe by former Border Security Force chief EN Rammohan into the April 6 Maoist massacre in Dantewada has suggested a blueprint that includes better coordination and increased intelligence gathering to prevent further attacks, informed sources have revealed.
The one-man commission headed by Rammohan is understood to have suggested a plan to avoid situations similar to the one in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada area where 75 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel and a state police constable were slaughtered by Maoist guerrillas April 6.
The report, which analysed the ground situation in the Maoist stronghold of Dantewada and nearby places in Bastar region, has suggested a forward plan to ensure better coordination between the central security forces and the local police, the sources said.
It also emphasised better coordination between the civilian populace and the security forces camped in the area. The commission is believed to have suggested increased intelligence gathering by forces before any anti-rebel operation.
The report, submitted to the government last week, is understood to have criticised local CRPF officials on duty in Dantewada April 6 for lack of planning and strategic moves.
The extremists had sufficient time to plan an offensive to attack the forces, who returned on the same path, the report is believed to have pointed out.
"I submitted the report to Home Minister Chidambaram by the deadline (Saturday)," Rammohan said. "I would not like to discuss the contents before it is accepted by the government. I am fully satisfied to have done a thorough professional job."
He said two subsequent attacks launched by Maoists April 17 and 21 during his visit to Chhattisgarh ad neither affected his morale nor the mobility of the commission.
Rammohan said he got full cooperation from all sections - CRPF, state police and civil authorities - during the probe. He interacted with local leaders and villagers near the ambush site.
Official sources told IANS that the government was likely to table the contents of the Rammohan Commission report in the ongoing session of parliament.
Chidambaram had told the Rajya Sabha April 19 that he had asked the Rammohan committee to "fix the responsibility" for the April 6 incidents.
"He will do a thorough inquiry. I have requested him to fix the responsibility from the assistant commandant of the CRPF right up to the minister in the ministry of home affairs. As soon as the report is prepared, we will draw the conclusion. I am sure there will be opportunity to share the conclusions in the House."
Rammohan, a veteran of anti-militancy operations in Kashmir and the northeast, was appointed as the one-man commission to probe the Dantewada massacre April 8, with directions to submit the report in 15 days.
The terms of the reference of the commission included "determining the sequence of events leading to the massacre". The appointment notification said the commission would "analyse and establish the decision, command structure and the hierarchy and the specific levels that took related decision concerning the area domination operations and leading to the incident".
"The commission will also examine the quality of the training imparted to CRPF companies and details of the training imparted to CRPF companies and details of the Standard Operations Procedures issued to them. It will also examine the response of the security forces and the police during the ambush and post-ambush, relief and rescue operations."