The principal, a teacher and three non-teaching staff members of south Delhi’s Ryan International School in were arrested on Thursday, days after a Class 1 student was found dead in a water tank on campus.
The five accused were, however, released on bail later on Thursday.
The police had earlier registered a case of negligence against the school authorities and asked the principal, Sandhya Sabu (50), to join their probe.
“The arrests have been made following our probe results which confirmed the negligence of the five school staff. We had promised the aggrieved family a fair probe and a speedy justice, which we have provided them,” joint commissioner of police (southeastern range) RS Krishnia told Hindustan Times.
The five people have been charged under Section 304A (death due to negligence) of the Indian Penal Code. It is a bailable offence, the police said.
Two hours after he went missing from the classroom, Divyansh Kakrora’s body was found floating in a water tank in a room below the amphitheatre. The six-year-old died from drowning, the post mortem report said.
The parents had accused the school of neglect. The water storage room was not manned nor was it locked, an initial probe revealed. The school failed to inform them about the student’s death and it was the hospital that alerted them, police said.
The school said it followed all the procedures and administered first-aid to the student before taking him to hospital.
“Their (school staff) arrests confirm that our fight for justice is on the right track. We want to thank the Delhi Police, media, and other agencies who have been supporting us from day one of our fight. Our only concern is that the arrested persons have not got the punishment compared to their negligence which claimed our son’s life,” Kakrora’s father Ramhet Meena said after the arrests.
“We will seek the deputy chief minister’s (Manish Sisodia) intervention for a CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) probe into our son’s death. Our fight for justice will continue,” he said.
The Delhi government had on Sunday ordered all the 3,500 schools in the city to submit a declaration of safety within a month.
A government task force would inspect schools to verify the claims and those found submitting wrong information on steps taken for students’ safety would face action, deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia said.