School bus carrying students catches fire in Delhi
A school bus ferrying students caught fire in east Delhi early Thursday, injuring the driver and the conductor.delhi Updated: Nov 26, 2009 11:43 IST
A school bus ferrying students caught fire in east Delhi early Thursday, injuring the driver and the conductor.
According to police officials, the incident occurred because of a compressed natural gas (CNG) leakage in the bus.
"It was a CNG-run Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) bus which caught fire at 8 a.m. near Mayur Vihar in east Delhi. While the details of the fire are yet to be ascertained, it mostly likely happened because of a gas leakage," a police official said.
A fire brigade official added: "While no student has been injured, the driver and conductor of the bus were caught in the flames and have been admitted to Dharamsheela hospital."
The principal of Evergreen school whose students were in the bus said that although shocked, the children were safe and sound.
"The driver told the teacher in the bus of some problem, following which she took all the kids out to safety," Priyanka Gulati, the principal said.