Stressed man kills kids, self | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 22, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Stressed man kills kids, self

Unable to cope with the death of his wife, who died nearly two months ago, a 38-year-old man electrocuted himself and his two minor sons. The incident occurred in the Kapashera area in southwest Delhi early on Friday.

delhi Updated: Jul 09, 2010 23:33 IST
HT Correspondent

Unable to cope with the death of his wife, who died nearly two months ago, a 38-year-old man electrocuted himself and his two minor sons. The incident occurred in the Kapashera area in southwest Delhi early on Friday.

The police said the deceased have been identified as Rajiv, who ran a food stall outside his Bijwasan home in Kapashera area. His two sons were nine-year-old Rinku and four-year-old Rohit.

Kapashera police station PCR received a call around 9.20 a.m. on Friday from Rajiv’s neighbour that he and his sons were lying unconscious at their house. A police team came and took the three to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital, where doctors declared them dead on arrival.

Police investigations have revealed Ravi was suffering from acute depression after his 30-year-old wife, Kamlesh, died almost two months ago.

Sources said that Kamlesh passed away on May 3 after suffering electric shock when she was cleaning the ceiling fan at their house.

“The growing financial burden was adding to his woes and may have triggered the suicide bid. We also questioned his neighbours who claimed that he was suffering from severe depression after his wife’s death and hardly paid any attention to his children since the tragedy,” said a senior police officer on the condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.

The police said that Rajiv had tied electric wires around the bodies of his two sons first.

“He had first tied the legs and hands of his sons with the wire before knotting it around their bodies. He knotted the wire around himself and plugged into the electric socket. The preliminary post-mortem report suggests that the trio died of electrocution,” the officer said.