Teenager collapses, dies after race | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 18, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Teenager collapses, dies after race

Naveen Kharab, the 19-year-old BBA student, died of a heart attack soon after he came first in a 100 metre race at the Hari Nagar Sports Complex in West Delhi, reports HT Correspondent.

delhi Updated: Dec 17, 2008 00:58 IST
HT Correspondent

Naveen Kharab ran his best during the annual sports day of his management institute on Tuesday not knowing that it was to be his last.

The 19-year-old BBA student died of a heart attack soon after he came first in a 100 metre race at the Hari Nagar Sports Complex in West Delhi. He was pursuing a course from Institute of Information Technology and Management in Janakpuri.

“After finishing the race, Kharab was talking to one of his teachers when he suddenly collapsed. His friends took him to Deen Dayal Upadhayay Hospital where he was declared brought dead,” said a senior police officer.

A resident of Mundela Khurd in Najafgarh area, he was the youngest in the family of four children.

Ravi Yadav, a final year BCA student, said, “We took part in the same race. I congratulated him and then he went to register his name in the winner’s list. It was then he collapsed.”

A.K. Gupta, the director of the institute, said, “We took him to the hospital within five minutes, but sadly he did not survive.”

Some students alleged that officials at the sports complex did not have adequate first aid material and did not help in taking Kharab to the hospital.

Yudhvir Bakshi, secretary of Hari Nagar Sports Complex, rubbished the claim and said, “No one from the college asked us for help. There is no question of not providing them a car.” The college had hired the complex for two days — December 16 and 17.

The boy’s family refused to get a post-mortem examination done. “He was an ace athlete who never had to visit a hospital. We believe it was a natural death,” said Dharampal Sherawat, the boy’s uncle.

Dr Avneendra Prasad, Medical Superintendent at DDU Hospital, said, “He was brought dead. As no post mortem was conducted, we believe he died of heart attack.