Test, interview to stay at St Stephen’s for undergraduate courses | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 16, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Test, interview to stay at St Stephen’s for undergraduate courses

The written test was introduced by former principal Valson Thampu in 2015. Students who had the required cut-off set by the college had to sit for a test and interview for final selection

delhi Updated: May 09, 2016 13:41 IST
Shradha Chettri
The college allots 85% weightage for results of the class 12 board exams. The remaining 15% is divided between the test and the interview.
The college allots 85% weightage for results of the class 12 board exams. The remaining 15% is divided between the test and the interview.(Chinmaya Sharma / Hindustan Times)

St. Stephen’s College will conduct a written test for admission to its undergraduate courses this year too, despite opposition from teachers.

The written test was introduced by former principal Valson Thampu in 2015. Students who had the required cut-off set by the college had to sit for a test and interview for final selection.

With new principal John Varghese taking over in March this year teachers were hopeful that the written test would be done away with.

“There were various teachers who had opposed the test. The principal, however, decided to retain it,” said a teacher who did not want to be named.

The college allots 85% weightage for results of the class 12 board exams. The remaining 15% is divided between the test and the interview.

The decision was taken at a meeting held on May 6. The meeting authorised the constitution of an admission committee consisting of teachers of the college.

Stephen’s being a religious minority college conducts its own undergraduate admissions. Jesus and Mary College also conducts its own admissions. For the remaining 61 colleges of the Delhi University, the admission process is centralised.

St. Stephen’s College offers 10 undergraduate courses — Bachelor of Arts in Economics, History, Philosophy, English, Sanskrit and pass course. Bachelor of Science is offered in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and BSc pass.

A source in the college said that for the first time the principal has himself taken on the role of the head admission tutor.

.