Three of a family consume poison | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 18, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Three of a family consume poison

A 45-year-old woman and her two daughters consumed poison after an alleged family altercation at their Sector-23 residence in Raj Nagar area of Ghaziabad early Tuesday morning. HT reports.

delhi Updated: Nov 08, 2011 23:21 IST
HT Correspondent

A 45-year-old woman and her two daughters consumed poison after an alleged family altercation at their Sector-23 residence in Raj Nagar area of Ghaziabad early Tuesday morning.

Sunita Upadhyay and her two daughters, Preeti, 24, and Prerna, 18, were declared dead at a private hospital. Preeti had recently cleared the preliminary exam of the sate civil services and was to get married in February 2012. The younger sister was pursuing graduation from a Ghaziabad college.

Rakesh Kumar Upadhyaya, who works as an electrical engineer with a reputed private company in Ghaziabad, rushed his wife and daughters to the hospital and told doctors that they had consumed some poisonous substance.

"I got up at around 5am in the morning after I heard them vomiting in their room. When I went inside, one of my daughters told me to help and save her due to unbearable abdominal pain," Rakesh told the police.

"Their father told us that the girls and their mother had consumed some poisonous substance and all of them were unconscious," the doctors at the hospital said.

However, the police are still clueless about the motive behind the suicide and the circumstances which led the victims consume poison. The police were informed about the incident by the hospital.

"Initial enquiries reveal that there was some altercation between the husband and the wife. Later, the three victims decided to consume poison.

We will investigate more into the incident. We are also awaiting post mortem reports," superintendent of police (SP) JK Shahi said.

According to the police, Rakesh's nine-year-old son had accidentally killed himself about nine years ago. "He was trying some acrobatics at home after watching a circus show and accidentally strangled himself," said Shahi.