‘Unstable’ man eats urea at Mughal Gardens
A man went to the Mughal Gardens at Rashtrapati Bhawan on Saturday morning, roamed around for a while and then ate a mouthful of fertiliser, reports Ravi Bajpai.delhi Updated: Mar 02, 2008 01:56 IST
A man went to the Mughal Gardens at Rashtrapati Bhawan on Saturday morning, roamed around for a while and then ate a mouthful of fertiliser. Thankfully, he did not stop at that. He then walked up to a guard and said he had consumed poison, police said.
Lal Bahadur Singh, 36, was fit by evening after receiving treatment at a city hospital. His family members said he suffered a head injury at work about a decade back and has been gradually losing his senses since. “He feels somebody has fitted a transmitter in his head,“ said Singh’s brother Mohar. Police said Singh was unemployed and lives alone in Sagarpur.
“It is not clear whether he wanted to commit suicide. We did not register a case since his family said he is mentally unstable. He could not tell us his address,” said a police officer.
Doctors at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital said Singh kept murmuring ‘Remove this machine from my body’. Singh’s brother Mohar said Singh had been hit by a hammer while at work in a printing press in Delhi 10 years back.
“He started behaving abnormally about an year after that. He then returned home in Aurangabad, Bihar. He came to Delhi about three months back and told me that he had found a job. I did not hear from him after that,” said Mohar. Singh’s wife and three children live in Aurangabad.
Police said Singh took a bus to Mughal Gardens. After strolling around, he allegedly took out a packet of urea, which he was carrying with him, near gate number 35 and ate it. “He then told a woman constable posted that he had eaten poison. He was later discharged in an hour,” said a police officer.