Unmoved by the speculation that the US national, allegedly molested by Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) player Luke Pomersbach inside her room at a five-star hotel wants to withdraw the case, the Delhi Police continued its investigation on Wednesday and said they were ready to file the chargesheet in the case.
The police said that in order to withdraw the case, the victim has to approach the high court. This is because once an FIR is lodged, only the court is authorised to quash it.
“We will close the case only when we receive directions from the high court. We will file a chargesheet in the case. The victim can request the high court to quash the FIR. But the court can reject the request,” said a senior police officer.
Pomersbach, who was arrested on May 18, had also allegedly assaulted the victim’s friend — Sahil Peerzada —who had suffered injuries on his left ear and. Peerzada was discharged from Primus Hospital in Chanakyapuri on Monday.
A family member of Peerzada is claimed to have told media that they did not want to pursue the case. Sources said that both the parties were eyeing for an out-of-court settlement.
Sources further claimed that the victim was planning to withdraw the legal notice issued against Siddhartha Mallya while seeking apology for his tweets.
Police sources said that Miraj, who was also present in the hotel room at the time of the incident, had not recorded his statement yet.
“Only Miraj and a few RCB members are left now, else the investigation is almost complete. After recording their statements, we will file the chargesheet,” the officer added. The statements of 12 people, including the hotel staff and friends of the victim, have been recorded so far. The victim had alleged that five persons had threatened her to withdraw the case.
A woman friend of the victim, an Israeli national, was also questioned on Wednesday. The police said that the Israeli national had alleged that her friend (victim) was threatened by the RCB players to withdraw the case.
The police have also identified two persons and are questioned them, while the remaining three (all foreigners) are yet to be identified. The police also plan to record the statement of other RCB members such as its coach Ray Jennings and its party coordinator.
“We are still looking for evidence to substantiate the claims made by the victim. If we manage to find evidence, a separate case will be registered,” said the police.
Meanwhile, the victim and her lawyer could not be reached for comments.