Visitors throng blind school mela | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 20, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Visitors throng blind school mela

With Diwali round the corner, the spirit of festivity is in the air. One of the city's most sought after events — the Blind School Diwali Mela, has registered a heightened sense of grandeur. The Mela, which commenced on Tuesday, will conclude on October 24.

delhi Updated: Oct 20, 2011 00:48 IST
Shaswati Das

With Diwali round the corner, the spirit of festivity is in the air. One of the city's most sought after events — the Blind School Diwali Mela, has registered a heightened sense of grandeur. The Mela, which commenced on Tuesday, will conclude on October 24.

Ranging from lampshades to darkwood furniture to diyas of varying shapes, sizes and colours, the event is attracting hordes of visitors. “This year the festivity and scale of the event seem to be much larger compared to the previous years. The collection comprises a wide range of products,” said Vandana Khanna, a resident of New Friends Colony.

Stall owners, too, claimed that the basic cost was determined by the kind of market the mela offered. “When we book stalls, we pay about Rs 45,000 to Rs 48,000 to the association as the fixed amount. Thereafter, whatever profits we make from the sale of products is ours,” said Vidya Mundhra, who has set up her handicrafts stall at Diwali mela.
The competition is cut-throat with shop owners vying for space within the school's premises.

“We give preference to people who had set up their stalls in the previous years too, which accounts for about 70% of the candidates. The remaining 30% of the stall owners are picked up from among the applications that we receive,” said PC Mehta, deputy executive secretary, Blind Relief Association. The funds generated are utilised for activities such as the Braille Production Facility, health care, job counselling and placement at the Blind Relief Association.