What does the lokpal bill now entail?
Salient points of the new lokpal bill that was cleared today by the cabinet headed by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh:delhi Updated: Jan 31, 2013 22:33 IST
Salient points of the new lokpal bill that was cleared Thursday by the cabinet headed by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh:
* The lokpal at the centre has been delinked from lokayukta in the states.
* State government will have to enact a law for setting up lokayukta within a year of the central government passing the lokpal bill.
* The prime minister's office will be under the lokpal, with some riders related to national security and external affairs.
* Officials facing a preliminary probe will be given a hearing.
* Lokpal will have no power to transfer Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officials investigating a case referred by it.
* Director prosecution of the CBI will be selected by the chief vigilance commissioner.
* The selection panel for the lokpal will comprise the prime minister, speaker and leader of opposition in Lok Sabha, Chief Justice of India and an eminent jurist.
* Prime minister, the leader of opposition in the lower house and the chief justice of India will select the CBI director.
* Charitable institutions aided by the government will come under lokpal.