India on Thursday tested a new long-range missile capable of delivering a one-tonne nuclear warhead anywhere in regional military rival China.
The missile was launched from Wheelers' Island off the coast in Odisha's Bhadrak district.
Here is a look at its salient features:
* Agni-V is India's first long-range missile capable of reaching deep into China and as far as Europe
* It can carry nuclear warheads and has a range of 5,000 km (3,125 miles)
* The launch of the Indian-made Agni V, if successful, would be the crowning achievement of a missile program developed primarily to counter any threat from China
* Only the UN Security Council permanent members - China, France, Russia, the United States and Britain - have such long-range weapons
* The Agni-V weighs 50-tonnes and is 17-metres (56 feet) high. It can be armed with a one-tonne nuclear warhead