Woman, kid suffocate to death in central Delhi
A 63-year-old woman and her two-year-old grandson died after a fire broke out in their house in central Delhi on Tuesday afternoon.delhi Updated: Mar 17, 2010 00:51 IST
A 63-year-old woman and her two-year-old grandson died after a fire broke out in their house in central Delhi on Tuesday afternoon.
Police said Surinder Kaur and her grandson Harman Singh’s bodies were found in the bathroom where they hid after the fire broke out in their Beadonpura house and smoke filled the rooms.
The two died of asphyxiation, the police said.
“The fire started because of a short circuit in the gas heater that the family used to cook on.
An LPG cylinder kept near it caught fire,” said Jaspal Singh, deputy commissioner of police (central).
“As the exit was blocked, Kaur ran to the bathroom with her grandson to save themselves,” he added.
The fire department received a distress call around 2 p.m. The house belongs to Jaswant Singh (64), who runs a business of motorcycle spare parts.
The police said the two bodies have been sent for post-mortem examination. The police have ruled out any foul play in the case.