The union home ministry has refused to buy Maharashtra's demand that the Centre share the bill for 26/11 Mumbai attacks convict Ajmal Kasab's security, emphasising that two companies of the Indo-Tibetan Security Force (ITBP) were deployed at the state's request.
Two companies of ITBP have been deployed to protect Kasab since March 2009 at Mumbai Arthur Road jail at the request of the state. The move followed intelligence reports that terrorists could try to kill Kasab, who had become a living proof of Pakistani elements' involvement in the attack.
Home minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Friday said the matter that could not be solved without being debated.
State home minister RR Patil had earlier told the legislative council that the state had asked the union home ministry to withdraw the demand for Rs 19.28 crore. According to one account, this outstanding amount has since then gone up to Rs 27 crore.