1 cop escorted three terrorists | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 30, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

1 cop escorted three terrorists

Indian Reserve Battalion Sub-inspector Dina Moni Singh hadn’t told his seniors that the three terrorists were being taken to a hospital.

delhi Updated: Jan 04, 2010 00:09 IST
Karan Choudhury

Indian Reserve Battalion Sub-inspector Dina Moni Singh hadn’t told his seniors that the three terrorists were being taken to a hospital.

According to Delhi Police, Singh hadn’t informed them that he was single-handedly escorting them out of Lampur Detention Centre in Narela.

Abdul Razzak, Mohammed Sadiq and Rafaqat Ali (in their 30s), all suspected ISI agents, had served their jail terms and were to be deported to Pakistan. But on Friday afternoon they managed to escape. They were accused of abetting terrorist strikes in India.

Who is responsible?

It has been more than 50 hours since their escape but it is still not clear who is responsible for the security lapse.

Both the Foreign Regional Registration Office (FRRO) and Special Branch of the Delhi Police are refusing to own up the responsibility.

“Their security is handled by the Special Branch of the Delhi Police and not us,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (FRRO) Ajay Chaudhary.

While Additional Commissioner of Police (Special Branch) Tajendra Luthra said, “We are only involved in the paperwork of Pakistanis. Their security is not our concern.”

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has asked both the agencies to give a detailed report of the security lapse by Monday.

The case was also transferred to the Special Cell of the Delhi Police, which is questioning Singh, and the reward money was hiked to Rs 50,000, from Rs 25,000 each.

The Delhi L-G has also asked for a report from the agencies and ordered a magisterial inquiry. D.P. Dwiedi, Deputy Commissioner, Northwest district, has been asked to submit his report in a week’s time.

No escort

Eyewitnesses said Singh was not escorting the terrorists, who were left to roam freely in the Walled City.

“The three men just came and ate like other customers. No policeman was escorting them,” said Surender Kumar, owner of Ambika Restaurant in Cycle Market, Chandni Chowk, where the terrorists had eaten.

“I came to know about it after it came in the papers and the police came to question me.”

According to initial police investigation, Singh did not escort the three terrorists to the restaurant and took around three hours to even tell the driver of the van in which they had gone to the hospital.

“He (Singh) had taken a Delhi State Welfare van and escorted them all by himself without informing his seniors,” said a senior police, on condition of anonymity.

Then, according to the police, he took a detour to the Walled City and let them roam freely.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature