In a freak accident, an 18-year-old suffered serious eye injuries when the battery of his mobile exploded. At the time of the incident on Sunday night, Monu was fiddling with his phone at his Patel Nagar residence.
“He was charging the phone in switch-off mode. He tried to switch on the phone but failed and as he took out the battery, it exploded,” said a relative.
“He suffered injuries in his eyes and was rushed to Ram Manohar Lohia hospital,” said a senior police officer. Doctors said both his eyes were injured and they would need another 24hours to say anything concrete about his
condition. “He was kept under observation overnight in ward no. 17. Since preliminary tests revealed the injury to be minor, he was discharged after first-aid on Monday morning,” said a doctor who did not wish to be named.
Monu has been asked to come back for a check-up next week.