11 securitymen killed in Naxal mine blast | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

11 securitymen killed in Naxal mine blast

delhi Updated: Jun 11, 2009 00:36 IST
Highlight Story

Ten security personnel including two sub-inspectors of Jharkhand police and an inspector of CRPF’s F7 Battalion were killed in a powerful landmine blast triggered by ultra outfit, CPI Maoist guerrillas in Jharkhand’s West Singhbhum district on Wednesday.

The incident took place in Serengda village under Goilkera police station, around 200 km southwest from state capital Ranchi, when a joint team of CRPF and local police was returning in a mini truck (Spacio) after a two-day long range patrolling in extremist-infested Saranda forest.

“Our men had erred by riding on vehicles on kutcha road, which is strictly prohibited in all Naxalite infested areas,” West Singhbhum police superintendent, Sudhir Kumar Jha told HT while returning with bodies of slain jawans to the police headquarters. Most of the bodies were badly disfigured by the blast’s impact.

He said soon after the blast, there was heavy exchange of gunfire from both sides. “The valiant CRPF and state’s Naxal Control Force (NCF) jawans immediate retaliated forcing the Naxal guerrillas hiding in ambushes spread in a radius of around one and half kilometres to retreat,” Jha said, adding two injured jawans were airlifted by state helicopter and rushed to a nearby hospital.

This is the fourth major naxal attack in the district since 2002 when the jawans of the district police and paramilitary force have suffered casualties. In the first such incident at Bikilsoy under

Manoharpur police station in 2002, 17 policemen died. In 2004, 29 jawans were killed in a daring attack at Baliva under Gua police station, while 11 CRPF jawans were killed in 2007 at Jeraikela.

The Deputy Inspector General of Police (Kolhan) Manoj Mishra had left for the spot. Additional police and para-military forces have been rushed to the village, police sources said.

Our correspondent reporting from the place of occurrence said that the team was travelling in a convoy of six vehicles. The jawans were very exhausted after raiding the naxal hideouts for last 48 hours on foot, and hence they boarded vehicles barely a couple of kilometres ahead of the blast site-ignorant of the impending danger.

“ It was the second vehicle in the convoy, and all occupants died. The two sub-inspectors have been identified Philip Tete and Prem Chand Hembrom. The slain CRPF inspector has been identified as Parwar Parimal,” police sources said.