126 dead as migrant boats sink

  • Associated Press
  • Updated: Jun 04, 2016 09:37 IST

ATHENS: More than 110 bodies were pulled from the sea off Libya’s shores on Friday after a smuggling boat carrying mainly African migrants sank into the Mediterranean, and a separate massive search-and-rescue operation in the open sea saved 340 people and recovered nine bodies.

The two sinkings were the latest deadly disasters for refugees and migrants hoping to find better lives in Europe, and came in addition to the over 1,000 people who drowned since May 25 while attempting the perilous, lengthy journey across the sea from North Africa to Europe’s southern shores.

As traffickers take advantage of the improving weather, officials say it is impossible to know how many unseaworthy boats are being launching daily from Libya to Europe - and how many never reach their target. A host of naval operations in the southern Mediterranean, coordinated by Italy, have been stretched just responding to the disasters they do hear about.

In Libya, at least 117 bodies — 75 women, six children and 36 men — were pulled out from the waters near the western city of Zwara, Mohammed al-Mosrati, a spokesman for Libya’s Red Crescent, told The Associated Press. All but a few were from African countries. The death toll was expected to rise.

But, as is frequently the case, authorities were uncertain when or how the people died. Libyan coast guards found an empty boat drifting Thursday, Libyan navy Col. Ayoub Gassim told the AP, adding it was possible the vessel had capsized a day earlier.

Al-Mos ratio fthe Red Crescent said the bodies were not “decomposed and therefore have drowned within the past 48 hours.” He said the boat that was found might have been the one carrying the victims. But strong winds and currents can push bodies from one place to the other, he said, making it difficult for authorities to determine where the tragedy occurred.

Often the first signs of a tragedy are either a may-day call from one of the passengers to European authorities or the macabre discovery of bodies washing up on shores.

Speaking by telephone, Gassim of the Libyan navy blamed Europe for “doing nothing but counting bodies” in efforts to stop the massive illegal migration from Libya.

Another migrant boat sank elsewhere in the Mediterranean on Friday, with Greek authorities saying 340 people were rescued and nine bodies recovered in a massive search-and-rescue operation involving Greek helicopters, aircraft, patrol boats and passing merchant ships.

Greece’s coast guard said the roughly 25-metre vessel, which resembled a large fishing boat, had been carrying an undetermined number of people when it was located half-sunk about 75 nautical miles south of Crete in international waters.

also read

IPL pushes six-hungry batsmen to the thick edge
Show comments