15-yr-old polio-affected student recalls the horror | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

15-yr-old polio-affected student recalls the horror

delhi Updated: Oct 06, 2009 00:20 IST
Vijaita Singh
Vijaita Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Fifteen-year-old Kiran Pal almost choked to death when he was trapped in the smoke caused by a fire in his school on Monday.

Pal, who is infected with polio and limps, said: “I was sitting in my class when I heard students shouting that a fire had broken out. I rushed towards the staircase.”

“There were many children on the staircase,” said Pal, who studies in Class V. “I was caught in the melee as I could not run as fast as them.”

Pal said he could barely see anything.

“I fainted and the next thing I realised I was in hospital,” said Pal.

The student was rushed to Sanjay Gandhi Hospital where he was under observation.

“I am waiting for my parents to take me home,” said Pal in the emergency ward of the hospital.

Besides Pal, eight other children fainted in the incident. Said Shivnandan, another student: “It was all black. There had been such instances earlier as well but no one paid attention.”

The schoolchildren said there was no electricity in the building since morning.

“As soon as power was restored, there was a short circuit in the meter board,” said Neeraj Kumar, a Class IV student. After the incident, angry locals pelted stones at the school building.