17 held as spurious flour takes first toll | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

17 held as spurious flour takes first toll

delhi Updated: Apr 06, 2011 23:43 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 58-year-old MCD employee, who was among the estimated 300 persons admitted to various city hospitals after having consumed adulterated buckwheat in east and northeast Delhi, died at the Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital on Wednesday, police said.

According to the police, as many as 14 criminal cases against various retailers of the contaminated food substance were registered across the two districts and 11 persons were arrested for allegedly selling the same.

“Prabu Lal, a resident of Trilokpuri, was admitted to the Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital in east Delhi after he complained of diarrhoea and dizziness. He succumbed to his illness on Wednesday,” said a senior police officer.

The cases were registered at local police stations at areas such as MS Park, Welcome, Nand Nagri and Jyoti Nagar in the northeast in addition to Krishna Nagar, Farsh Bazar, Shakarpur, Madhu Vihar, Mandawli, Kalyan-puri and Mayur Vihar in the east district. “We arrested 11 shopkeepers from the northeast district on Tuesday after the incident came to light,” the officer said.

“The Nandu Masala Mill located in Mandoli is found to be the manufacturer of the adulterated kuttu flour that had been consumed by the victims prior to their falling ill. Raids are being conducted and Kishore (45), owner of the said mill, has been arrested under sections 272 (sale of noxious food or drink), 273 (punishment regarding sale of noxious food or drink) and 336 (act endangering life or personal safety of others),” the officer added.

By Wednesday evening police has arrested six more people from east Delhi in relation to the buckwheat tragedy. Three of them were arrested from Mayur Vihar, two from Kalyanpuri and one from Farsh Bazar.