17-year-old raped, murdered in Delhi | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

17-year-old raped, murdered in Delhi

delhi Updated: Jan 03, 2011 10:21 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The new year saw another incident of alleged gangrape and murder in the Capital.

A 17-year-old girl who went out for a New Year party on Friday was found dead in Dwarka in Southwest Delhi on Saturday.

According to police, she had been first strangled with her pair of jeans. Her face had then been smashed with a stone to make identification difficult. Unconfirmed reports also suggested that the girl was made to have unnatural sex as well.

The police said the body of the girl, who lived in the New Delhi municipal area, was spotted on vacant land belonging to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation in Dwarka Sector-9.

Recent crimes

December 1: Two African nationals allegedly tried to molest a call centre employee hailing from the northeast.

November 30: Five men were arrested for allegedly raping a 22-year-old woman in Seemapuri.

November 24: A call centre employee from Mizoram was abducted by five men and raped.

"She told her brother she was going out with her friends. According to preliminary medical reports the girl had sexual intercourse prior to her murder but there were no injuries on her private parts. We are investigating the case from all possible angles," said Sharad Aggarwal, deputy commissioner of police (southwest).

Police have rounded up two boys from the locality where the victim resided. The police said the two went missing soon after the incident. The police are questioning the accused.

The police said that on December 31, the victim told her brother at around 5.30pm that she was going out with her friends to a party. According to the police, the deceased knew the accused.

The parents of the victim had died sometime ago and they were living on the rent they earned by renting out one room of their apartment.

The body was discovered by a passer-by at around 3.30pm on Saturday who immediately informed the police.

The police claimed that there were no injuries on the private parts of the girl and it is yet to be established whether she was raped. They are trying to gather leads in the case.