18-year-old stabbed to death in Shadipur | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

18-year-old stabbed to death in Shadipur

delhi Updated: Mar 21, 2011 23:54 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Unidentified assailants stabbed an 18-year-old factory worker to death after he forcibly smeared colour on them in west Delhi's Shadipur area on Sunday morning, police said.

"The deceased, who has been identified as Sanjay Kumar, was stabbed repeatedly after he forcibly played Holi with some miscreants in the Shadipur market area. We were intimated about the incident at 1pm on Sunday," said a senior police officer investigating the incident.

According to police, Kumar, a resident of gali number 13 in central Delhi's Ranjit Nagar, used to work as a tailor in a garment factory near his residence.

"He met some of his friends at his residence in the morning before consuming alcohol with them. After they were drunk, Kumar and his friends left his residence to visit some more of their acquaintances in the Shadipur market area," the officer said.

When Kumar, along with his friends, reached the market area, they started playing Holi with some bystanders despite the latter objecting to the same, police said.

"Preliminary investigation has revealed that the deceased and his friends started misbehaving with the people whom they encountered after reaching the market area," police said.

According to eyewitnesses, the victim and his friends were repeatedly told to mind their business but they refused to do so, the officer added.

Police said Kumar refused

to stop despite repeated attempts by his friends to hold him back. "Even though his friends asked him to stop misbehaving with the crowd, Kumar kept doing that and refused to budge. It is at his insistence that someone from the people whom he was bothering got enraged and stabbed

him repeatedly in the back and chest in retaliation," the officer said.

Police said a bleeding Sanjay was rushed to the adjacent Deen Dayal Upadhyay (DDU) Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

"We have registered a case of murder at the Ranjit Nagar police station and are on the lookout for the culprits. Further investigations into the matter are underway," the officer added.