2 cops held for robbing Rs 3 crore | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

2 cops held for robbing Rs 3 crore

delhi Updated: Sep 01, 2012 01:07 IST
Jatin Anand

Two Delhi Police personnel were arrested for waylaying, intimidating and subsequently robbing an east Delhi-based businessman's employee of more than Rs 3 crore earlier this week, Crime Branch sources said on Friday.

Identified as Head Constable Umedh and Constable Parvinder, both of whom are posted at Kanjhawala Police Station in outer Delhi, sources said they had intercepted Shaligram, who works for a local hawala operator, while he was on his way to Shahdara from an undisclosed location in north Delhi on Tuesday afternoon.
"Both of them were in uniform and overtook Shaligram near Geeta Colony. They told him they were with a special investigation team of Delhi Police and had information that he was carrying a very large amount of money and they wanted to verify it," said an officer.

Sources said the policemen had been tipped-off by a man who used to work for Shaligram's employer but had recently quit.

After waylaying him, sources said, the policemen threatened to drag Shaligram to the Lodhi Road office of the Delhi Police's elite Special Cell for 'questioning' to scare him before getting their hands around R3 crore which Shaligram was transporting in his car.

The sources added the two policemen were arrested by a team of the Crime Branch Special Operations Squad (SOS) on Friday and more than R1.5 crore in cash was recovered at their instance.

Sanjay Kumar Jain, DCP (crime), refused to comment on the arrests 'in the interest of further investigation'.
Sources said Shaligram's employer had to be convinced to lodge a formal criminal case in the matter given the enormity of the amount involved. However, the businessman in question consented only to having been robbed of Rs 30 lakh.

"We are still in the process of verifying the exact amount recovered from the accused policemen. They have been suspended from formal duty till investigations conclude," said another officer.