Two men died of asphyxiation while cleaning a septic tank at a farmhouse in Gadpuri area near National Highway 2 in Palwal district on Sunday.
According to police, the incident occurred around 2.30pm. The two men had gone inside the tank at the Greenland farmhouse. “After getting information about the incident, we rushed to the spot. However, passersby gathered at the site had already pulled the bodies out of the tank,” said Palwal Yad Ram, station house officer, Sadar Police station.
“The bodies were rushed to the Palwal Hospital,” said Narinder Singh Kadyan, deputy superintendent of police, Palwal city. A case has been registered under Section 304 of the IPC against the owner and manager of the farmhouse.
“We have come to know that the septic tank wasn’t cleaned for time and we believe both the men died due to asphyxiation as a result of the poisonous gas.
The victims have been identified as Rajesh and Tinku, both in their 20s. The eyewitnesses said due to the incident, traffic on the busy Mathur Road remained disrupted for about two hours.