2 more swine flu deaths, first this year

  • Sidhartha Dutta, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Jan 08, 2015 01:03 IST

A 42-year-old woman from Uttam Nagar and a 39-year-old man from Faridabad died of swine flu at different hospitals of Delhi on Tuesday — the first to die of the disease from the NCR region this year.

The Faridabad man, who was admitted to a private hospital in the Capital last week, died on Tuesday night. “His samples had tested positive for swine flu at an authorised laboratory. He died after 10pm last night,” said a health official.

The woman, on the other hand, died during treatment at a private hospital on Tuesday evening. Her death, however, was only reported on Wednesday.

“She was anaemic and was suffering from respiratory problems. She was brought to the hospital on December 3. Her samples had tested positive for swine flu,” said Dr Charan Singh, additional director in-charge of public health, health services.

A 51-year-old woman had died on December 24 last year of swine flu at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.

Officials said, eight new cases of swine flu had been reported on Wednesday taking the total figure to 22 so far this year. The cases had been reported from Madangir, Sangam Vihar and Greater Kailash I, JNU campus, Laxmi Nagar, Rajouri Garden, Masjid Moth of South Delhi and Chhattarpur.

Delhi health secretary SCL Das has reviewed the training programme and preparedness of health workers of all 22 designated hospitals, including five private hospitals, in tackling the disease.

“He reviewed the training sessions of workers to figure out how they are trained in taking all precautions in handling swine flu cases,” the official said.

The National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the health department officials also held a review meeting to take stock of the situation on Wednesday.

From Around the Web
Sponsored by Revcontent

also read

Delhi: Decomposed body of woman recovered from sack, husband missing
Show comments