India sent a strongly worded diplomatic note to Pakistan on Thursday, the eve of the second anniversary of 26/11, expressing its disappointment with the indifferent response in bringing the perpetrators of the carnage to book.
The note, sent to the Pakistan high commission, regretted that Islamabad had not responded to queries on several aspects of the case, including information on seven persons involved in the attacks, given by home minister P Chidambaram during his meeting with his Pakistani counterpart in June in Islamabad, official sources said.
The note also pointed out that little progress had been made in the trial of seven Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives in Pakistan who were arrested in connection with 26/11.
Islamabad is yet to respond positively to India’s demand of voice samples of the handlers of the attack.
The suspects on trial include the alleged mastermind of the attack, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, and Lashkar operative Zarar Shah.
"The Government of India has conveyed to Pakistan its regret that despite the repeated assurances given by Pakistan's leadership at the highest level and the extensive cooperation extended by India in connection with the ongoing trial and investigation in Pakistan on the Mumbai terrorist attacks, substantive and verifiable progress has not been made on bringing all the perpetrators and masterminds of the heinous attacks to justice", the external affairs ministry said in a statement.
The statement said that India once again called upon Pakistan to "fulfil its stated commitment to bring all the perpetrators of the Mumbai terrorist attacks to justice and unravel the larger conspiracy behind the attacks".
The ministry said that a time-bound fulfilment of its stated commitments would not only go a long way towards building trust and confidence between the two countries but would also be a reflection of Pakistan's commitment to combat terrorism comprehensively.