250 missing files found in Lalli's office | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

250 missing files found in Lalli's office

delhi Updated: Feb 23, 2011 00:24 IST
Chetan Chauhan
Chetan Chauhan
Hindustan Times
Chetan Chauhan

The mystery behind over 250 missing files in Prasar Bharati has been solved. Office of now suspended Prasar Bharati chief executive officer (CEO) B S Lalli has returned over 200 files, which were untraceable for the past many years.

The files were returned soon after Rajiv Takru took over as acting CEO of Prasar Bharati after suspended of Lalli, following the President recommending an inquiry against him to the Supreme Court.

Among the files returned was the one regarding appointment of a senior official in Doordarshan. As per the information on the file, the Prasar Bharati never issued an appointment letter to the person despite he working in the senior position on contractual basis.

The person has now left DD and had drawn salary. The Prasar Bharati is now inquiring on how the person was appointed with requisite approval.

That is not end.

Files were also found regarding policy directions issued by past Prasar Bharati chairpersons to the then CEO Lalli. Instead, of working on them the files were kept in a cold store and no action was taken for years.

“Some of the files also relate to issues concerning the Information and Broadcasting ministry,” an official said but refused to divulge the exact details. And, no action on some of these files are now being termed as a reason for the mess created and wrangling in national broadcasting corporation.

According to the officials, the former CEO used to call the file for taking action but them dumped them in the cold storage.

V Shiva Kumar, member personnel and A K Jain, member finance, the two full time members of the board, have submitted the files related to controversial issues to the CEO office but no action was taken on them, sources said.

Last week, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has referred the Shunglu Committee report on the alleged irregularities in the Commonwealth Games to the Central Bureau of Investigation with regard to Lalli.

This comes in wake of the Supreme Court having asked the Central government to submit before it evidence against Lalli in alleged financial irregularities charges against him.

There is an allegation in the Rs 246 crore in the deal struck between the Prasar Bharati and UK based broadcast firm SIS Live.