The 2G spectrum case on Saturday reached an important milestone with a Delhi court framing charges against all the 17 accused including former telecom minister A Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi and corporate honchos.
Special CBI judge OP Saini also ordered that trial in the case will commence from November 11 with all the accused refusing to plead guilty to various offences.
"You all committed an offence punishable under Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) read with 409 (criminal breach of trust), 420 (cheating) 468 and 471 (forgery) of the Indian Penal Code and Section 7 or in alternative Section 11 read with Section 12 and 13(2) read with 13 (1b) of the Prevention of Corruption Act and within my cognisance," the judge said in his 700-page order.
Telecom companies Reliance Telecom Ltd, Swan Telecom and Unitech Wireless have also been charged with criminal conspiracy and abetment in the 2G case.
Charges framed against individuals:
1. Former telecom minister and DMK leader A Raja
2. DMK leader and Karunanidhi's daughter Kaniomozhi
3. A Raja's former private secretary RK Chandolia
4. Former telecom secretary Siddhartha Behura
5. DMK-run Kalaignar TV's MD Sharad Kumar
6. Bollywood filmmaker Karim Morani
(Three Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group executives)
7. Gautam Doshi
8. Hari Nair
9. Surendra Pipara
(Three Swan Telecom promoters)
10. Shahid Usman Balwa
11. Asif Balwa
12. Rajeev Agarwal
13. Unitech (Tamil Nadu) Wireless Ltd's MD Sanjay Chandra
14. DB Realty MD Vinod Goenka
Three companies were also charged with criminal conspiracy and abetment in the case.
15. Reliance Telecom Ltd
16. Swan Telecom
17. Unitech Wireless
The trial of the accused would begin after the court pronounces its order on framing of charges in the case.