2G scam: Dawood threat to CBI headquarters? | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

2G scam: Dawood threat to CBI headquarters?

delhi Updated: Mar 23, 2011 02:15 IST
Rajesh Ahuja
Rajesh Ahuja
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A few days before the mysterious death of Sadhick Batcha in Chennai, the CBI was passed on information in Mumbai that Dawood Ibrahim’s D Company might target the probe agency headquarters to destroy the 2G scam papers.

After getting this information, the CBI top brass immediately swung into action to put more security measures in place at its headquarters here.

A very senior CBI official told HT on condition of anonymity, “A source in Mumbai passed on information to our officials a few days ago that D Company is planning to target the CBI headquarters with the intention to destroy the 2G probe papers. We have taken all the required precautions. An alert has been sounded out at all the agency offices. The investigation team has been asked to be careful.”

Sources said Swan Telecom (now Etisalat DB) promoter and scam accused Shahid Usman Balwa is under the scanner of intelligence agencies to check his alleged links with Dawood’s gang. Besides these intelligence inputs so far, there is nothing that directly connects D Company with the 2G scam.

Balwa was arrested by the CBI in connection with its probe into the 2G scam on February 8. He is now in judicial custody.

According to sources, Balwa is likely to be named in the first chargesheet itself which is to be filed by the CBI by March 31.

According to sources, apart from Balwa, the first chargesheet will also name former telecom minister A Raja, his former personal secretary RK Chandolia, former telecom secretary Sidharth Behura and two telecom companies.

Sources also disclosed that so far, the probe agency has completed 10% probe in the 2G scam.

After filing the first chargesheet by March 31, the CBI will proceed further in the matter.