30-year-old man clubs mother to death in Kalkaji | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

30-year-old man clubs mother to death in Kalkaji

delhi Updated: Jan 16, 2013 23:52 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 58-year-old housewife was allegedly beaten to death by her own, apparently mentally-challenged, son at their Kalkaji residence on Tuesday evening, police said.

Identified as Reeta Chaddha, the woman reportedly had the fatal confrontation with her youngest son Sameer, 30, at their C block, Kalkaji residence, around 9:45pm. Sameer himself called up the local police to report the incident.

“Around 10pm, we received a call with the caller simply stating that he had killed his mother with a blunt object during an argument,” said an officer.

Shocked at the matter-of-fact way in which the information had been relayed, a police team rushed to find Sameer in the same house where he had killed his mother a few minutes ago. He was detained.

Initial investigation and the preliminary questioning of the neighbours revealed that loud arguments between Reeta, a mother of three, were a routine and seemed to be rooted in a property dispute, police said.

“When asked what had happened, he said that they had an argument that escalated and he got very angry. He then got his hands on a wooden kitchen tool and hit her on the forehead with it,” said an officer.

“As soon as he hit her, Sameer told police, his mother fell to the ground and didn’t move.”

Police said Reeta had been staying the house, an ancestral property, for a little over three years. His two elder brothers live separately in the Capital.

“He was taken to Kalkaji Police Station where he again confessed to killing his mother after a heated argument. What triggered it is still a matter of investigation,” said the officer.

According to police, Sameer’s mental condition seemed to be ‘irregular’.

“While his mental condition is being verified, his mother’s body has been sent for a post-mortem examination,” the officer added.