30-yr-old falls victim to road rage | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

30-yr-old falls victim to road rage

delhi Updated: Jul 31, 2011 00:28 IST
HT Correspondent

A 30-year-old technical supervisor at a government hospital was mercilessly beaten to death after he intervened in a roadside scuffle between his friend and two staffers of a local hotel in northeast Delhi's Shahdara area on Friday night, police said.

Sanjay Kumar Jain, DCP (northeast) said the incident occurred on the Loni Road when Tarun Gaur, a resident of east Delhi's Ashok Nagar area, was returning from a party with three of his friends around midnight.

"The victim and three of his friends, identified as Ravinder, Navin and Amit, were returning on two motorcycles from a party after celebrating Navin's father's retirement when they stopped to purchase cigarettes from a roadside vendor near the Janata Hotel around 11.45pm," DCP Jain said.

While Gaur, father to a three-year-old son and was employed as a technical supervisor in a government hospital in central Delhi, and his friends Navin and Amit purchased cigarettes, Ravinder went to urinate in the shrubbery along the road, police said.

As Ravinder made his way towards the vendor, two bike-borne hotel staffers, later identified as Anish and Lucky Tyagi, accidentally collided with him, triggering a verbal altercation between the trio which soon turned into a violent scuffle with the four men ganging-up on, and subsequently assaulting, the errant bikers.

"After they had been thrashed, both men rushed to the said hotel, narrated the incident and returned with eight of their friends to the spot. Led by Anish and Lucky, the gang assaulted Gaur and his friends with stones and rods. While his friends managed to escape, Gaur wasn't so fortunate," said DCP Jain.

Police said the assailants used a stone lying nearby to smash Gaur's head. The commotion caught the attention of a police patrolling party which reached the spot around 12.20am and arrested Anish Tyagi, who incited the gang to avenge the insult.