32-year-old opts for Prez nomination to prove he is not dead | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

32-year-old opts for Prez nomination to prove he is not dead

delhi Updated: Jun 21, 2012 23:55 IST
Nivedita Khandekar
Nivedita Khandekar
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Thirty-two-year-old Santosh Kumar Singh on Thursday went to the Parliament House to file his nomination for the president’s post.


Though he was turned away for lack of an identity proof, Singh is hopeful that this exercise will help achieve his aim - proving that he is alive. “I don’t want to be the President. All I want to do is prove I’m alive,” Singh claimed as he roamed around Jantar Mantar with a placard saying ‘Main Zinda Hun’ (I am alive).

Singh is from Chhitoni village in Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi. He claimed after his parents died, his relatives connived with UP police and administration to declare him dead in 2003.

Singh, who claims to have worked as a cook at actor Nana Patekar’s place in Mumbai since 2000, said the reason is his marriage to a Marathi Dalit woman named Supriya.

He said he went to seek the blessings of his elders after he got married.

“But because she is a Dalit, my uncles and others threw us out of the house and declared me dead. They also grabbed 12.1 acres of my agricultural land.”

Since then, he claimed, he has been running from pillar to post to prove he is not dead. He alleged that a UP police official even threatened him and said, “Abhi tak toh sarakari dastavejon mein mare ho, ab asali me mar jaoge (Till now you are dead only in government documents, now you will be dead for real).” He said he even wrote to the UP chief minister and the Prime Minister but to no avail.

“What else can I do to prove that I am not dead? I went to file my nomination for the President’s post but they sent me back because I don’t have an ID proof,” he said.