38-yr-old shop owner killed in Moti Nagar | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

38-yr-old shop owner killed in Moti Nagar

delhi Updated: Sep 22, 2011 00:03 IST
Highlight Story

In yet another gruesome murder, a 38-year-old snacks shop owner was killed inside his Moti Nagar house in west Delhi, early Wednesday.

Initial investigation suggests, Virendra Sachdeva alias Sonu was killed by two assailants by a sharp-edged weapon.

The incident came as a shock for Sachdeva and his wife Arti's families, as the Sachdevas had lost their 11-year-old son barely a few months ago. "They had shifted to this house in January and in March their son died due to fever," said Jeet Singh, a relative.

Though the house was ransacked, police suspect it was done just to misguide police. Police are probing the murder from various angles and questioning victim's relatives.

"The entry to the house was friendly which means either the victim or his wife knew the accused. We are questioning the victim's business partner. The statement of his wife has also been recorded," said V Renganathan, additional commissioner of police (west).

Police said Sachdeva was hit by a heavy object on his head and the assailants pierced his body by a sharp-edged weapon several times.

In her statement, Aarti told police around 4 am she woke up and saw her husband being beaten up by two masked men. "She didn't know how they entered the house. After seeing her husband being stabbed, she fell unconscious. She gained consciousness at 5.30 am and that was when she alerted neighbours," said a senior police officer.

Sachdeva's 4-year-old daughter was sleeping when all this happened. "The sequence of the event is not clear, as Aarti is unable to tell much. They have also taken two mobile phones from the house," the officer added.

Sachdeva's neighbours, who were first to reach the spot, said they were woken by the screams of Aarti. "We rushed to their house and found the main door open. Aarti was lying with her hands and legs tied while Sachdeva was lying in a pool of blood in the bedroom," said Sachdeva's neighbour Rakesh Munjani.

Neighbours reached Sachdeva's house around 5.30 am, but police said the assailants had entered the house before 4 am.