Thirtynine juveniles ran away from Observation Home for Boys II within Seva Kutir premises at Kingsway Camp on Thursday.
They had reportedly indulged in violence with other inmates.
Six children were injured, of which three were hospitalised for a few hours. All the children who fled the juvenile home were aged 16 years and above.
But by evening four of them returned to the institution run by Department of Social Welfare (Government of Delhi).
District Social Welfare Officer Rajiv Saxena said a police complaint has been lodged.
“We have also informed higher officials of the department and even two magistrates handling juvenile cases,” he said.
Some officials, who did not wish to be named as they are not authorised to speak, said an inquiry would be ordered on Friday morning to find out if there was any negligence on part of the staff.
At the same time, the focus would be on bringing back these children and counsel them.
Officials said six “rowdy” juveniles were shifted from ‘Place of Safety’ at Majnu Ka Tila to the observation home last week on orders of the Juvenile Justice Board.
“These children along with a notorious teenager from the existing lot at the home wanted increased quantity of eatables allowed from their homes,” the official added.
“This way they can smuggle narcotics by concealing into the eatables.”
“Last night, the inmates were split into two groups with the group led by this teenager putting pressure on others to act according to their wishes,” the official said.
According to authorities, the first group did not take food last night. This morning too they did not take food and wanted the second group to do the same.
They started beating the young ones with indigenous arms like pipes, long kitchen utensils, blades made out of cooler's iron strips.