4 charred in fire at Shahbad Dairy | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

4 charred in fire at Shahbad Dairy

delhi Updated: Jul 27, 2009 23:28 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Four people of a family, including an infant, were charred to death when their room caught fire after their television exploded in Shahbad Dairy area of Outer Delhi on Sunday night.

The police said Kamlesh (43) and her five children -- Shivani (10), Baby (6), Deepak (4), Rajrani (3) and 45-days-old Babu -- were at the home when the incident occurred.

While four children and the mother died, Deepak is recuperating in hospital with severe burn injuries. Doctors said his condition was critical.

The police said Kamlesh's husband Suresh, a daily wage earner, was not home when the fire broke out. "The whole family was living in a room. The children were watching television while Kamlesh was preparing food. Suddenly, the television set exploded," said a senior police officer.

Some clothes, which were kept beside the television, caught fire. The children got scared and they started running in the room. "In the melee, the stove toppled, kerosene came out and the fire spread," said the officer. The fire spread so fast that the family had no time to escape.

The victims were rushed to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital.The police have registered a case of death due to negligence and an SDM level enquiry has been ordered.