50-year-old alleges rape by constable | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

50-year-old alleges rape by constable

delhi Updated: Oct 27, 2008 23:28 IST
HT Correspondent

A music teacher in South Delhi has alleged that a constable with the Delhi Police raped her. The police have denied these charges and no case has been registered as of now.

The victim, 50-year-old Veena Sharma (name changed), is a resident of Green Park. She has been living in a house that was earlier an orphanage since 1960. Most of the property now belongs to a radio channel.

According to Sharma, the incident happened on September 23, around 4:30 p.m. “I went down to the radio station’s office to check if a courier had arrived for me. It contained Rs 6,000 sent by my sister that I needed for installing water pump. The gatekeeper there misbehaved with me and started a fight. Later they sent three policemen to my house,” she said.

She alleged that the policemen broke open the gate and barged in the premises. “They started questioning me. Then two of the policemen left, but one kept on hanging around. He then suddenly attacked me and pinned me down and raped me. He also put my walking stick inside my mouth and threatened me that if I tell anyone I would be facing dire consequences,” she added. She injured her left leg in an accident and walks with a stick.

“We have not received any such complaints and no case of such kind has been registered,” said a senior police officer.

The next day she went herself to Safdarjung Hospital for a medical check up.

S.B. Jain, a close family friend of the woman, said, “She told me about the incident the next day. I first took her to AIIMS and then to Hauz Khas police station. The police were not cooperating with us. She was even able to recognise the constable but still no one was ready to take any action.”

She later got a written permission to get her medical exam done to ascertain rape. The results are still pending.

“The police have not contacted me and I do not know the results of the medical test. No FIR has been registered and I am scared of getting out of my house,” she said.

She alleged that the people at radio station are behind it all. “The house belongs to us. When the people looking after the orphanage left, they told them to keep all the orphans until they get married. Now they are trying to drive us away,” she said.