500 more girls to be out on the streets | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

500 more girls to be out on the streets

delhi Updated: Nov 24, 2011 00:30 IST
Shaswati Das
Shaswati Das
Hindustan Times
MCD

What was one of the biggest hubs of paying guest (PG) accommodations in the city has now run into trouble.

The building department of MCD’s central zone has started cracking down on illegal constructions in South Extension-I. Due to the drive, many PGs have been sealed. The civic agency is planning to take action against six more PGs which will affect at least 500 girls who are residing there.

Most of these girls, hailing from different states, are students of Delhi University and other universities. Some of these girls are also working.

On Tuesday night, MCD had sealed a PG occupied by 40 girls for illegal construction. “MCD officials came and gave us 10 minutes to take our belongings. We tried to contact our landlord, but he was not available. MCD says they will de-seal it after three days so that we can take all our belongings. We will be shifting to a new PG now,” said one of the occupants of the PG accommodation.

Apart from the central zone, sealing and demolition action was undertaken in various parts of the city. During its drive, the MCD demolished illegal portions in 46 properties in South, Rohini and Sadar Paharganj zones. In south zone, action was taken in Hauz Khas, Malviya Nagar and Said-ul-Ajab.

“We carried out massive demolition action in the south zone. In the past two days, we have targeted 22 properties,” said a senior MCD official.

“We had sent the residents a notice on November 15, asking them to vacate within 24 hours. The buildings have not been constructed as per sanctioned plans. We will temporarily de-seal the premises to give them some time to recover their belongings. But a permanent de-seal will take place only once the building has been regularised as per the building plan,” the official added.

However, the residents have refuted MCD’s claim, stating that no such warning had been issued. They claimed that the letter reached them only on Tuesday, which did not give them sufficient time to make necessary arrangements.