7-yr-old missing, father alleges abduction | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

7-yr-old missing, father alleges abduction

delhi Updated: Aug 04, 2009 02:07 IST
Vijaita Singh

A seven-year-old boy who suffers from partial paralysis and had come to Delhi with his father for medical treatment was reportedly kidnapped from the New Delhi Railway Station few days ago, police said.

The child identified as Rahul Chauhan was reportedly kidnapped within seconds from Gate number 3 of the railway station when his father was managing the luggage, police said.

The child’s father alleged that he suspected the handiwork of a gang involved in begging racket behind the crime.

“It all happened within 30 seconds. I always use a rope to tie my son on my back so that he does not get lost, as the station is always crowded,” said Harish Chandra Chauhan, the child’s father.

“That fateful day I hadn’t used the rope and was holding his hand instead. The moment I left his hand to manage the three bags I was carrying, he was kidnapped.”
Rahul’s left hand is paralysed and he limps. The child was recently operated for cataract. He used to come to Delhi every six months along with his father for treatment at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).

The incident was reported on July 17 when Chauhan was on way to catch a train for his hometown at Ballia in Uttar Pradesh.

“I have been going to the railway station everyday after that but have not heard anything from the police. I don’t have any enemies neither I have received any ransom call,” said Chauhan.

“I suspect the involvement of a gang involved in begging racket behind the disappearance of my son,” said Chauhan. A case of kidnapping has been registered at the New Delhi Railway Station.

A desolate Chauhan, who became a father after 15 years of marriage had even placed an advertisement in several newspapers that his only son had been kidnapped.

“ Someone read the advertisement in the newspaper and cheated the child’s father. The man claimed he had the child and asked the father to deposit Rs 1500 in the account. During investigations it was found that the man was a cheat, we arrested him and put him behind bars,” said Bhairon Singh, additional deputy commissioner of police (railways).

“ My wife has become bed ridden since the time she has heard about the missing boy,” said Chauhan.

“I have been conducting searches on my own at the railways station but to no avail. Everyday I meet some parent or the other who has lost his son or daughter at the railway station. I don’t think there is any hope left.”