About 80 children of a Jafarabad school had to be taken to hospital on Sunday morning because of suspected food poisoning.
However, some teachers at the residential Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya in the Jaffarpur Kalan area of southwest Delhi alleged the students had consumed some substance to be excused from the gruelling Republic Day parade.
The incident took place after the students had dinner on Saturday night. Principal B.S. Kumawat said all 450 students of the school had normal dinner and breakfast on Sunday morning.
But some students complained of abdominal pain and digestive problems soon after. Some of them also had vomiting tendencies.
“Around 70-80 students were admitted to the nearby hospital and most were later discharged. But seven students are still under observation at the local Rawtula Ram Hospital,” he said, adding that doctors did not confirm any food poisoning.
The police have registered a case of negligence against the school management and are probing the matter.
However, some teachers suspected the hand of students in the incident.“It might be a trick by some students to escape the Republic Day drill,” a senior teacher said on condition of anonymity. Kumawat said the school administration, too, has ordered a probe.