The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued notice to the CBI on an appeal filed by a 64-year-old woman sentenced to five-year jail in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.
Zaibunnisa Anwar Kazi has challenged the order of conviction passed by the Mumbai TADA Court which hed her guilty of aiding and abetting terrorist acts and hiding the arms and ammunition used in the serial blasts at her house.
Kazi had helped gangster Abu Salem's aid Mansoor Ahmed Sayed in carrying the weapons from the residence of actor Sanjay Dutt to her house.
Senior counsel Sushil Kumar mentioned her petition before a bench headed by Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan and sought her release on bail on the ground that she had been on bail for the last 13 years till her arrest after pronouncement of the TADA Court order in November last year.
Kumar said it was surprising that she had not been given a copy of the judgement even after several months. It was violation of provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code, he said.
The bench asked the CBI to respond to her plea and posted the matter for hearing after three weeks.