A telephone call, a mysterious woman and a cheated jeweller | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

A telephone call, a mysterious woman and a cheated jeweller

delhi Updated: Dec 07, 2011 00:14 IST
Jatin Anand
Jatin Anand
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Just when he thought that advertising his small jewellery business in a local advertorial was finally paying off, 37-year-old Dev Vrat Mukherjee's dreams came crashing down last week — and how.

For the owner of a small jewellery shop at north Delhi's Chandni Chowk, it all began with a phone call from a mysterious Mrs Kapoor, who was all praise for the designs of his wares, on December 1.

"Sometime during the afternoon, I got a call from a woman who identified herself as a Mrs Kapoor and told me that she had heard a lot of good reviews about my jewellery from one of her friends," Mukherjee told police.

After three days of showering her adulation on the east Delhi resident, the mysterious Mrs Kapoor who claimed that she needed his services for her daughter's wedding, called Mukherjee to the S block in Greater Kailash Part II on Saturday. The purpose of his visit, Mukherjee was told, was to give Mrs Kapoor a preview of his talent with the woman suggesting that he bring along with him some of the finest bridal jewellery articles from his shop.

"Accordingly, Mukherjee picked up some of the most expensive items from his shop, which he claims are worth several lakhs, and reached the spot with one of his employees at around 4:30 pm - half an hour before Mrs. Kapoor had wanted him to be there," said a senior police officer.

When he realised that his client-to-be was running half an hour late, police said, Mukherjee called her over the phone and was told that she was stuck in traffic nearby and would be there any minute. The hapless jeweller had just disconnected the call when three men on a bike skidded to a stop near him and his employee, got off the vehicle and politely enquired whether they were speaking he was the 'famous' jeweller.

"As soon as he said 'yes', the men started assaulting him and his employee and ran away with the bag containing the jewellery. When he called Mrs. Kapoor to give her the bad news — it was switched off," the officer said adding that a case of cheating had been registered and investigations were underway.