Abducted man’s family pay Rs 4 crore ransom | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Abducted man’s family pay Rs 4 crore ransom

delhi Updated: Aug 03, 2009 01:08 IST
Vijaita Singh
Vijaita Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The son of a Chandni-Chowk-based trader was allegedly abducted from a busy traffic intersection at General Post Office (GPO), Kashmiri Gate on July 29.

The 25-year-old man (name withheld on family’s request) was in his Audi car when two unidentified men allegedly kidnapped him from the traffic intersection point, barely 200 metres away from the Kashmere Gate police station.

The man was reportedly released a day later by the kidnappers after the family paid a ransom, police said.

The incident was reported on the day when 16-year-old Ribhu Chawla’s body was found in Vasant Kunj. Ribhu, son of a software seller, was kidnapped a day earlier from Vikaspuri.

Police sources said the Chandni Chowk trader’s family reportedly paid a ransom amount of Rs 4 crore to the alleged kidnappers.

“I lost my elder son to cancer two years ago. I wanted my younger son safe. My son is back, I don’t have any grudges against anyone,” said Rajeev Mittal, the victim’s father.

Police said they received a call at about 11.30 am last Wednesday that a man has been kidnapped from the Kashmere Gate area.

“The family had informed us. We immediately registered a complaint and took up the investigations. The family also received a ransom call,” said a senior police officer on condition of anonymity.

Police said the ransom amount was paid somewhere in Rajasthan.

After the ransom money was paid, the accused left the victim and set him free.

“He was back after a day in captivity. Thankfully they did not harm him,” said the victim’s father.

“The family is not cooperating with us in the investigations. They could have given us details about the kidnappers but they are hiding facts,” said the officer.

Police said they have started investigations on their own and are on hunt to nab the accused. Police said Mittal had made a land deal few days ago and gifted the Audi car to his son recently.

Traders said they were in a state of shock after the incident.

“There is no security in the city. We are particularly shocked after the incident. It can happen to any one of us,” said a trader who did not wish to be identified.