Delhi police on Tuesday gave a clean chit to eight people accused as responsible for constable Subhash Tomar's death during the anti-rape protests in December last year.
Appearing for the police, additional solicitor general (ASG) Sidharth Luthra told the court that no evidence was found to link the eight accused to the constable's death.
However, Luthra said that they were involved in destruction of public property near India Gate during the protests against the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman.
"We have electronic records (phone locations records). They were involved in damaging public property but they were not involved in Tomar's death," Luthra added.
The court was hearing a plea filed by advocate Somnath Bharti on behalf of the eight accused booked for the constable's death case for quashing charges against them.
Justice GP Mittal posted the matter for final arguments for March 20.
Police had earlier said that Tomar was assaulted and trampled upon by the crowd at India Gate. However, two witnesses said that he collapsed while chasing the crowd and that he was not beaten or trampled by the protestors.
The trial court granted bail to the accused on December 24. They had been arrested on charges of murder.
Justice Mittal will also hear another petition filed by lawyer Gaurav Kumar Bansal seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into Tomar's.
Tomar died two days after he collapsed on the road. Bansal alleged that there were contradictions in the versions of police, witnesses and doctors.
The plea said the police commissioner's statement was contradictory to the version of two witnesses - Yogendra and Pauline - and the medical superintendent of Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where Tomar was admitted and later died.