Accused mimicked girl's voice to kidnap youth | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Accused mimicked girl's voice to kidnap youth

delhi Updated: Jan 08, 2012 00:34 IST
Prabhu Razdan

The police have rescued the 20-year-old son of a coloniser, who was allegedly kidnapped for Rs 5.4-crore ransom on January 4. Two persons have been arrested in the case. A girl, too, was detained, but she was let-off as no case could be framed against her.

One of the alleged kidnappers, identified as Hemant Sharma, was arrested from Kailash Hospital in Noida on Friday. The victim, Nitin, son of coloniser Dharamvir Bhadana, was rescued at his instance.

Hemant had allegedly befriended Nitin on phone by mimicking a female voice.

As Nitin was to get married soon, he passed on the number to one of his friends, Akash. Akash would often talk to Hemant posing as Nitin.

Posing as a girl, Hemant allegedly called Akash requesting him to meet outside Charmswood village around 7pm on January 4. Akash informed Nitin about it and they went to meet Hemant, thinking him to be a girl, in separate vehicles.

"When they reached at the spot, two youths — Hemant Sharma, Gaurav Sharma and a girl Preeti of Sector 37 — pushed Nitin in their vehicle," police said.

Nitin’s family lives in Charmswood village residential colony, which falls under the Surajkund police station.

Police said initially, the kidnappers had demanded Rs 40 lakh from Dharamvir for the safe release of Nitin. But they later escalated the amount to Rs 5.4 crore.

Dharamvir reported the matter to police. Police teams were formed to rescue Nitin.

Nitin was rescued from a house in Sector 21 C, the area where police commissioner’s office is located, police said. Gaurav was present in the house and was arrested.

Police said Hemant knew that Nitin’s father was a coloniser and kidnapping Nitin could change their fortune. So, he hatched a plan to kidnap Nitin.

"We picked up Hemant from Kailash Hospital in Noida, on the basis of which Nitin was rescued on Friday," said Anil Kumar Rao, joint commissioner of police, Faridabad.

"A case of kidnapping has been registered against the two, whereas we could not establish the involvement of the girl in the kidnapping drama," Rao said.

Both Hemant and Gaurav were produced before a court on Saturday, which remanded them to two days' police custody.