Accused of raping sister-in-law, man kills mother-in-law for not taking back case | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Accused of raping sister-in-law, man kills mother-in-law for not taking back case

delhi Updated: Dec 18, 2014 23:58 IST
HT Correspondent

A man facing the charges of raping his minor sister-in-law allegedly shot dead her mother because she had rejected his request to withdraw the rape case.

The 50-year-old woman, his mother-in-law, was allegedly shot dead at her house in Outer Delhi’s Narela on Wednesday night.

The accused had allegedly raped the woman’s younger daughter on October 2. A case of rape and other sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) act had been registered against him at the Narela police station. The man is married to the deceased’s eldest daughter.

“The man wanted the case against him to be withdrawn. But her mother-in-law had refused to do so and he hence probably shot her dead,” a senior police officer said.

The woman’s younger daughter — the 17-year-old rape survivor — is now being treated as a witness to the murder.

“The incident took place around 9:30 pm at the woman’s house. The accused, along with two of his associates, barged into the woman’s house and beat up the mother-daughter duo first. He then shot the woman dead,” the officer added.

The police recovered three empty and one live cartridge from the spot of the crime.

Sources said the police were alerted about the murder by a neighbour. The woman was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was declared dead on arrival.

“The accused, a resident of Karala village in Narela, has been on the run since the incident,” a police officer said.

Locals claimed that the accused had been married to the victim’s elder daughter for over two-and-a-half years and their marriage was going through tough times. Local residents described the accused as a ‘violent’ man.

Sources claimed that the deceased woman’s younger daughter had told the police that the accused had raped her on October 2, after which they registered an FIR against him.

He had been, since, trying to force her mother to withdraw the case against him.