State-run carrier Air India has taken the pilot, co-pilot and the engineering personnel off duty for allegedly carrying more passengers than the seating capacity on the Mumbai-Mangalore IC 179 flight.
“Air India has taken a serious view of the matter…” a statement issued by the airline said.
The incident took place on May 5 when passengers of IC-179, using an Airbus A-321 aircraft, had to be moved to another aircraft, as the original aircraft’s door was broken.
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), while probing events leading to the broken door, found that the aircraft had 175 passengers — three more than the aircraft’s seating capacity.
The DGCA probe also revealed that these three passengers had been issued boarding passes manually.
“Commercial staff associated with preparation of pre flight documents has also been stripped off their primary function,” the statement said.
Air India chairman and managing director Arvind Jadhav has asked the executive director of Western Region to probe the incident and initiate action against those found guilty.
The violation of flight safety norms by Air India had made the flight illegal and in event of a mishap, the passengers couldn’t have been compensated.