Aiims re-admits accused doctor | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Aiims re-admits accused doctor

delhi Updated: Jul 14, 2011 23:37 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Four days after resident doctors called a hunger strike in support of a senior resident doctor accused of molesting an eight-year-old boy in the hospital ICU in January this year, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) readmitted him on Thursday.

“He has been readmitted, but the decision is subject to the final outcome of police investigation. He can attend his classes from Friday,” said the AIIMS spokesperson.

Union health minister, Ghulam Nabi Azad, had issued sacking orders of the senior resident doctor on the basis of the preliminary inquiry report by the hospital’s internal sexual harassment committee on February 3. Since then, he was barred from attending classes and seeing patients.

The resident doctors’ association (RDA) of AIIMS had expressed its reservations about the doctor’s termination, since no conclusive evidence was found against him.

“We wanted AIIMS to give him a fair trial and not punish him before the final verdict was out,” said Dr Debjyoti Karmakar, president, RDA.

On Thursday, AIIMS director, Dr RC Deka, met the health minister and convinced him to review his decision. The doctor, however, is in no mood to celebrate, as he lost his father two days ago. “It would have been nice if Dad didn’t have to go through all that. I wish he was alive to see me reinstated,” said the doctor.